CEO, V-Empower, Inc.
Founder, Statedemocracy Foundation
Leading a very successful career for about 26 years in the US, starting as a Travel Agent/International Air Tariff expert to a CEO of one of the fastest growing company according to Inc. Magazine in 2007.
Currently, dividing time between being a CEO, Mentor, Facilitator, Non-Profit Executive Operative, Community Worker and family man with 2 wonderful daughters and spouse.
- Public Servant
- Civic Leader
- Independent Candidate
Founder of ezCampaigns.com
January 2007 – December 2010
Provides cutting edge solutions to candidates/businesses/organizations to use Internet effectively. We currently provide products and Services in the following areas:
- State of the Art Campaign Web-Presence
- Simple Web-Presence as a candidate
- Internet Strategy
- Voter Registration Application
- Absentee Ballot Application
- Polling Place Locator
- Campaign Intranet
- Google Maps Applications/Data Mining
- Weblobbying (Online lobbying at State level)
- Political Consultant
- Web 2.0 & Web 3.0 Strategy for campaigns
Founder of Statedemocracy Foundation
July 2003 – December 2010
Conceptualized, designed, developed and implemented a technology which helps citizens contact their elected officials at the Federal & State Level. V-Empower, Inc. has contributed over $ 1 million in the last 7 years. We developed the 1st ever voter registration & absentee ballot in 2004 which is being used by several businesses/unions/campaigns.
CEO, V-Empower, Inc.
October 2000 – Present
Manages a small company with few employees and consultants which specializes in Information Security, Web-Development, Software Development, Search Engine Optimization & Search Engine Marketing.
We built this company from an investment of $ 1000 to over 110 employees in 6 countries with an annual revenue of $ 5.4 million in 2006; An Inc.500 honoree for 2007 (Ranked # 263); A Deloitte’s Fast 50 honoree (Ranked #1) for 2007 in Maryland and (Ranked #7) in 2008.
V-Empower, Inc. has cultivated the culture of innovation/entrepreneurship by developing 23 products in last 14 years and facilitating its 7 employees to start their own businesses.
We are now a small, innovative company with a focus to foster entrepreneurship by opening up our intellectual property & talent.
Affiliations with Groups & Associations
- State Democracy Foundation
- Humanity First
- Maryland India Business Round Table
- TIE (The Indus Entrepreneur)
- Member of Chamber of Commerce of Bowie
- Governor's Commission for Asian Pacific Americans (2007- Present)
- Advisory Committee for Minority Businesses by MDOT (2009-Present)
- Ayesha & Ali Padder Foundation
- Clinton Foundation for Inner City Entrepreneurs
- Governor Oden Bowie Democratic Club (Vice President 1994-1996)
- Maryland Democratic Party AAPI Council
- Bowie Business Innovation Center
- Governor Oden Bowie Democratic Club (1994-Present)
- PTA High Bridge Elementary School (1998-2007)
- PTA Samuel Ogle Elementary School (2006-2009)
- Bowie Chamber of Commerce (2006-2008)
- Bowie Business Innovation Center (Board Member 2008-2013)
- Field Director, Bill Bradley for President 2000
- State Director, Joe Lieberman for President 2004
- Prince George’s County Coordinator, Bill Richardson for President 2008
- Internet Director, Jack Johnson for County Executive, 2002 & 2006
- Campaign Manager, Katina Johnston for Congress, New York, 2002
- Mentor to David Murray & Ed Burroughs for School Board, 2010
- Mentor to David Murray, Ed Burroughs and Raaheela Ahmed for School Board, 2012
- Candidate for Maryland House of Delegates, 2006
- Legislative Aide, Delegate John Giannetti (Laurel), 1999
- Helped over 50 Political Candidates & over 50 Non-Profit Organizations
Awards & Honors
- Nominated for the Patricia Wallace Outstanding Citizen of Bowie (1994 & 1995)
- Nominated for the Presidential Service Award in 1995 (President Clinton)
- Nominated for the Governor's Volunteer Award in 1995 (Governor Glendening)
- Nominated for the Prince Georgian of the Year Award (1995)
- White House Fellowship Regional Finalist (Made the list of 108 applicants out of 9000) in 2005
- Governor's Service Award in 2006 (Governor Ehrlich)
- Recognized by Inc. Magazine as one of the 500 fastest growing company in US in 2007 (Ranked # 267)
- Fastest Growing Company by Deloitte in Maryland in 2007 (Ranked #1)
- Fastest Growing Company by Deloitte in US in 2007 (Ranked #19)
- Fastest Growing Company by Deloitte in Maryland in 2008 (Ranked #7)
- Minority Business Award by Business Journal in 2008
- Ranked 5th in Local Giving (Washington DC) by Business Journal, 2009
- Ranked 46th in Local Giving (Washington DC) by Business Journal, 2010
- Outstanding Alumni by Strayer University, 2009
- Public Relations
- Event Management/Planning
- Product Development/Strategy
- Social Entrepreneurship
- Political Consulting/Strategy
- Grassroots/Field Organization
- Focus Group Facilitation
- Campaign Management/Communications
- Non-Profit Organization (Leadership/Management)
- Public Service
Only Candidate in Prince George’s County to Support Public School Choice (Began the campaign in 1998 and helped enact Public School Choice in 2003. Currently there are 36 Charter Schools in the State serving about 12,249 students)
- Only Candidate in District 23A who supported Inter County Connector
- Only Candidate in District 23A that supported Slots Revenue for Education (Passed through Referendum 2008)
- Assisted groups to lobby for Stem cell Research (2006)
- Helped Repeal Tax on IT/Computer Industry (2008)
- Helping to keep term limits for County Executive and County Council (2014)
- Fellowship in Entrepreneurship, University of Maryland, 2005
- MPP, Master in Public Policy, American University, 1999
- BS, Computer Information Systems, Strayer University, 1993
- BS, Mathematics & Physics, Osmania University, 1983
Shukoor is an example of the American dream being alive and well. He came to this country as an immigrant from India a little over 26 years ago, with just $500 in his pocket. Since then he has been able to start a family with his wonderful wife, get a graduate degree, and build his own company from the ground up.
Before coming here, Shukoor’s parents instilled the value of getting an education, which is why upon arrival, he completed his Bachelors in Information Systems (he later went on to complete his masters in Public Policy from American University). He then worked in the travel industry where he learned the basics of customer-service. It is also where he was able to hone his listening skills, believe him, the only thing worse than getting your flight cancelled is dealing with the person who just had his flight cancelled.
From the start, Shukoor also immersed himself in community service, working with several non-profits, social organizations and faith groups. In fact, between 1992 and 2006 he volunteered on average, 30 hours a week with such causes. Some of these groups included Lutheran Social Services, Winter Haven Homeless Shelter, Habitat for Humanity, State Democracy Foundation and Ayesha & Ali Padder Foundation.
Shukoor and his wife have two daughters, both of whom attended local public schools and are currently attending University of Maryland, College Park.
Shukoor runs his own IT consulting company and knows the daily challenges faced by small business. Challenges like meeting a payroll and providing healthcare for employees are just two examples of how he can apply his business experience in serving the public good in our county.